Making a complaint

If you believe a veterinary treatment has been unsatisfactory or you are concerned about your veterinary surgeon’s behaviour, you should first try to resolve the matter directly with the veterinary surgeon. The information sheet ‘Complaint Information’ below gives suggestions on the format to follow and provides detailed information on the process to follow if your negotiations with the veterinary surgeon are not successful.

Disputes about fees and charges can not normally be dealt with by the Board. For these you will need to contact the Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety using the below button.

In the event that you decide to lodge a complaint with the Veterinary Surgeons’ Board, you will need to contact our office and speak to one of our staff about the issue, who can then forward a complaint form to you.

The Board will then seek information from the veterinary surgeon and any other relevant person and then consider all the information to determine whether there is a possible breach of the Act. If so, the matter may be referred to the State Administrative Tribunal (SAT). The information sheet below provides more detail on the SAT process and possible penalties. More information can be obtained from the SAT website.